Among your Marketing Data, certain Invoca accounts can create custom fields that you define yourself, according to your own business needs. With these custom fields, you can choose which types of customer and attribution data are most important to your business. You’ll also have full control over how Invoca collects and updates that data, helping you achieve deeper insights into your marketing attribution and customer journey.
Ready to create a new custom Marketing Data field in your Invoca account? Here's how:
- Log in to your Invoca account. In the sidebar menu, click Settings, then in the Network section, select Marketing Data. Here you'll see your Marketing Data Dictionary — a list of every Marketing Data field in your Invoca account.
- Click Add New Data Field to create a new entry, then choose from the following field types:
- Category: Special fields that aggregate data for filtering within Invoca reports. This field supports up to 255 characters.
- Short Text: Used for short strings of text, usually in visitor URL parameters, that you wish to capture. This field supports up to 255 characters.
- Long Text: Used most frequently to capture the entire URL of your callers. This field supports up to 10,000 characters.
- Under Partner (API) name, enter the exact name of the data parameter you want to capture on your landing page and/or send to your other marketing technologies.
- Under Friendly Name, you may give this Marketing Data Field a more readable name, which will appear in your Invoca reports instead of the Partner (API) name.
- Choose how you want Invoca to collect and update your Marketing Data values from the Attribution Model drop-down menu. You can choose between the following models:
- First Touch: Captures the first value of the given custom data field for a customer. Useful for crediting display ads and other awareness assets.
- Last Touch: Updates the value of your custom data field to the most recent value. Useful for capturing the last page a customer viewed prior to calling.
- Multi: Stores up to five values of the same custom data field for a customer. Useful for capturing a customer’s journey across your site, or the various products they may have viewed prior to calling.
For more details about when to use different attribution models, see our article What is the difference between each Marketing Data attribution model?
- If your Invoca Tag is unable to capture a data value for this Marketing Data field from one of your callers, you can use the Default Data Mapping drop-down menu to give it a fall-back value instead of simply appearing blank.
- For Syndicated affiliate marketing campaigns , you can share your Marketing Data field with other syndicating accounts by clicking the Enable Sharing checkbox.
- When you're finished, click Save. If you have created any Invoca Tags in your account, you’ll see a notification prompting you to update those tags.
You’ve now created a custom Marketing Data field! You can follow the above steps to add more Marketing Data fields to your account, follow our guide How to edit a custom Marketing Data field to make changes, or click the trash can to delete it.
To start capturing this Marketing Data parameter from your phone calls, follow this guide to adding Marketing Data fields to your Invoca Tag.
You can also use your Marketing Data to route your phone calls to many different call centers using lookup tables, view Marketing Data in your Invoca reports, or send Marketing Data to other systems using your Invoca integrations.